Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Mural wall's and mail sorter's


After searching month's for a rug, then finding this one, and changing the end tables, my living room was still missing something.  My vision of "homey" is probably everyone else's vision of cluttered, my Grandma says I have entirely too much "stuff" especially on my walls, but the wall above my couch BOTHERED ME, like a lot, and every time I looked at it I saw the lonely window.  

I had been debating between a gallery wall or a few items to each side of the window.  But I love gallery walls and I like lots of stuff so the decision was made.  I started collecting frames and some of my favorite things around the house and gathering them into a pile on my kitchen table- I would walk by and rearrange the laid out arrangement until I was satisfied. 


Then I made paper cut outs of each item and taped it so I knew where it would go on the wall.


I made the wooden shelf with some scrap furring strips and stained it.  The main white frame in the middle is a yard sale find that was  originally gold.  The feather was my favorite find at this year's "World's longest yard sale."

The large white frame's quote states "There are so many beautiful reasons to be happy."

The smaller white frame says "Let nothing dim the light that shines from within."

The small frame on top of the white shelf, "Learning to live in the present moment is part of the path of joy."


I finished the mural wall Sunday morning and then browed Craigslist as I do at least once a week and saw THIS.....


I fell in LOVE, I HAD to have it, I immediately sent a text to the seller asking if it was still available and giving them my offer, he accepted and told me I could pick it up that night!


The seller stated the piece is an antique mail sorter and from the late 1800's to early 1900's.


Even I admit that the living room is now slightly cluttered, but I love everything in it and can't part with any of my things.  I have thought about moving the mail sorter to the wall by the window and moving the blue chair more centered with the window.  I will live with this arrangement awhile and see how I feel.



When I look at this picture, I feel completely content and a huge sense of "home," I think that's when you know your doing something right.  It's you that is living in your home, no one else, so don't try to copy a magazine or go with some trendy pattern, simply buy things you love and things that have meaning to you.  

-Jamie




1 comment:

  1. Hello Jamie. So good to know you through your profile on the blogger. I am also glad to stop by your blog post. This gives me an opportunity to invite you as a Registered Nurse to come to Mumbai, India on a short/ long term missions trip to work with us in the slums of Mumbai amongst poorest of poor. Due to poor sanitation is the slums people have many kinds of diseases. Your coming with some other friends will be of great help for us to reach out such people to treat their diseases and bring physical as well as spiritual healing. I am in the Pastoral ministry for last 35yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the broiken hearted. We also encourage young people as well as adults from the West to come to Mumbai on a short / long term missions trip to work with us in the slums of MUMBAI during their vacation time. We would love to have you come and work with us. I am sure it will also be a life changing experience for you. My email id is : dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. Looking forward to hear from you very soon.

    ReplyDelete